Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bargaining


This happened three or four months ago. One of my good friends .. RUMU [marine engineer] came to my office and he told me that he had to buy some stuff.
I always jog at morning and I also had to buy a new pair of jogging shoes. That was the end of month and as usual I had the common "money-problem !" I was thinkig of buying cheap shoes.


So I planned to go to Gulishthan Market- The largest second-hand market of Bangladesh.

Rumu is a kind of boy who gets excited in every matters; suppose, right now he is in Mumbai and he mailed me like this .. "dost .. fanaa deikha ami akashe bhastasi .. etto joss. etto .. ar dost eikhankar maiara jei smart ! mone koro bangladesh er sobcheye dami model o eikhankar normal ekta meyer kache fail khaia jaibo .. " blah blah ..

Now while we were on the way to Gulisthan he was excited as usual .. "dost gulisthan dui nombor hoile ki hoibo ! eikhane kintu mone kor 1 nombor available paoa jai .. tor jahaj theke amar chokher samne pura NikE er bakso lut kore nia asche .. koi nia asche ko ? ei gulisthan .. bujchos? huda hudi nike - mike theika beshi dam dia kinar cheye ei khan theika kinle tui jitbi .. dont worry man ! :) ..."

I was just in accordance with all his talkings .. in the mean time we reached the Gulisthan Market- everything quite changed ! I didnt come for long in this market .. the cinema hall is not over there .. I had a lot funny memories with this "ek ticket e dui chobi" cinema hall ...

We started from a corner. I had an idea on the price of the shoes. I was looking for the lace-less nike shoes .. and I found one from a vendor. I wore the shoe in one foot .. that fit to me and I was happy coz my feet are XXL. :D
Rumu kept talking "arey beta challu hoise .. khape khap moijuddir baap !" Then i started bargaining. The vendor started packing [this is their style to sell.. that is they start packing without settling down to a price].. I stopped him and asked whats the price ..
he replied "apner kach theika ki miah ar beshi rahum naki ? shesh bajare aisen .. ja chamu dia diben .. "

I said "dam kon! "
reply "ek dam 600 taka diben"
I started walking and he stopped me .. "apne koia jan kisu ekta ! juta pinda punda ehon na nia jaiben .. kemne hoibo ? dam koia jan ekta .. kharan miah"

I sniffed that this guy is not like others .. he is kind of rude. :( I was thinking in mymind .. and was trying to tell 100 taka .. at that time my good friend Rumu - told most surprisingly "300 taka den" I was astonished and I pulled his hand to move, Rumu realized that he made a mistake .. then we started walking .. then the vendor shouted "koi jan .. kharan " .. he ran to me .. and pulled my hand ..

We had to stop. The vendor continued shouting "oi miah faijlami paisen .. damadami koira juta niben na mane .. ? ki kon ? pirit er alap paisen naki ? juta loia jan koilam ."

Then I started shouting ''oi ki hoise.. ami nimu na koisina 300 takai .. nimu na.. hey (pointing to rumu) bhul korse .. kintu ami 300 takai nimuna .. 100 takai dile dao .. noile jamuga .. "

A good number of vendors then gathered, someone was shouting "ki hoise? ki hoise ? tafalling kore ?"
Then in their replies our vendor said "arey damadami koira nibo na koi .."

I was also shouting to him .. then at last I setteled down to 100, and the vendor kept saying "den den .."

I just pulled my money bag out and I was afraid whether there were change of 500 taka or not .. thanks god ! there was .. two 100 taka were sticked together .. and suddenly the vendor just snatched 200 taka from my bag and said "ek paisao kom dimu na .. jaan "

I was stunned .. Rumu was trembling ..
I was shouting shivering in anger "bhai apnera dekhen uni amar taka churi korse .. amar taka churi korse .. " each and every person surrounding us just gave us a blank look .. nothing else ..

Then i cried out "***** pola tor juta ami nimu na .. ei taka tor ga dia goila goila porbo .. **** nati .. "
Then kicking the trash of his shoes we left that place.

For a long time me and Rumu were not talking .. then I started "arey bepar na .. ei alakai ei rokom hoi e .. agei sabdhan hoa uchit chilo.. mood tai noshto hoia gelo .. kintu juta ajke kinum e chol onno dike dekhi .."

Rumu: "dost ami bujhinai .. sorry dost .. ami jantam na eto kharap obostha ei khane .. sorry :("

Anyways we were looking for other shoes and I did not find not a single pair of shoes just like that one .. and i was desperately looking for that one only !

We were roaming for half of an hour .. then suddenly a man wearing a white lungi, holding a mobile in his hand .. just like the typical business man in old-dhaka called me from back "bhai ki hoise ? kon.."

I said "na ki hoibo kisu hoi nai .. ken?"

"bhai ektu ei dike asen"

I was trying to figure out the situation .. whats going on !

I looked around and decided to go with that stranger .. we were led to that vendor again by that typical man. That vendor was standing with an angry face .. he was complaining to him about me "arey ustaad .. dam dami koira nibona koi .. ami ki korum kon .. hara din kharaia thaki .. customer e ei rohom korle gaa joila jai :("

The lungi man shouted "chup thak harami"
Then turning to me "ki hoise bhai kon.."
I just repeated the whole story to him .. then he told "apnera shikhito manushera jodi ei rokom oshikhiter moto kam koren taile ar amra kemne babsha korum .. (then turning to that vendor he shouted) oi taka de unar"

He gave me my Money-back !!! !!!!! :O :O

So many surprises all in a row .. yeah I was lucky that day .. very lucky .. and I know almost everyone of my age residing here in dhaka certainly had this kind of experiences .. but this one is unique as I got my money back .. ha ha ha ha ha ......


oh . the conclusion is: I bought at last from BATA .. he he ..



21 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger savannaview said...

bhoyaboho obostha dekhi:s

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alhamdulillah...baicha fira aisos...amra khusi....

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

dost, KOTTHIN.

Usually rasta ghate shondeho jonok cheharar manushjon jodi bhai shunen ba ei je bhai apni ki buet e poren type kotha koia amare daak pare ami allah'r naam nia ekta dour lagai (H)

Polashi te ekbar, azimpur bus stand e ekbar duibar dour marsi ar dhoirai nisi duibar i chintai karir haat theke porte porte beche gechi ;)

Obosshyo ei dakadakir jobab dite jeye amar bohut friend mobile haraise :D

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

khaise amare :| amar dhakay porar asha bhora shesh hoye gelo :'( doura dourite ami nai :S hatte hattei chitpotang hoi :$

taka jokhon disilen-i tokhon juta ta betar gale maren nai kan x-(

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

@moon : he he .. boyaboho to obossi ! :(

@borobhai : borobhai .. borobhai .. apander doa er uporei to achi !

@shafi : "run shafi run" :D

@audity: suno suno .. chhintai rahajani prithibir sob jaigai e ase .. so dhakar upor kheipa labh ki ? ek ek jaigai ek ek torika ei ar ki !

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger aragorn said...

moral: dont try to bargain in gulisthan... u might get beaten...:P

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

@tareq : right u r !

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

toooo bad conditionss :) , it looks like snake to me :P

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ami kheplam kokhon :D ami chintito :P r don't try to bargain kothata ki shudhu amar jonno projojjo naki? :S

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

@audity: oita "moral" tag dia likha to .. sobar jonno projojjo !

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:$ ami ektu ektu discrimination er ghondho pachchilam to... arektu hole 'tareq bhaia might've got beaten' ;) ondhojone alo dewar jonno dewar jonno dhonnobad :D

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Tahmid Munaz said...

Masha-ALLah! you were Lucky.

Rastay karo kono question er answer na deyata safe.. most of the time ogula sintai kari der gang member hoy..

watever tomar Size XXL mane? Bata 10? Man i wear Bata-11 which is rare from Bata production.. tai koidin age ami ReeBok er 12 size er ekta jogging shoe kinlam. It took 3750 Bangladeshi Tia :(

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

3750 bangladeshi tia !!!
oita ki juta naki khorom miah ? :-s

he he he ..

jak bhallagse apnar size suina :D ho ami Bata 10 er member .. he he he ..

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Tahmid Munaz said...

Hey?? Post Moderation koro Bro..

I faced the same prb.. this Anonymous guys are always posting huge number of post with a few text saying Wow.. nice etc etc.. but actually these are few Spamming guys.. keep your post Moderated. Othewise aje baje post e bhore jabe..!! Tara Tari!!
Cause gotokaal i saw 40 Post hoise amar Blog e .. those all are Anonymous Spammers!

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,niiice story....i liked it very much...but u coulda not censored those slangs..hehehe!!!
k,keep bloggin dude..
shezad.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

yeah Munaz u r right .. :)Thanks for reminding !

Hey shezad : thanks for visting after a long time.. :) and slang is one of the part of our life :P he he he

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird n strange :|

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Dipu Nobody said...

@upoma: which one is weird and strnge ?

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous murad uddin said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=22538242&postID=115373597196591102&page=1&token=1424781367682&isPopup=true

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous SERGE said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=22538242&postID=115373597196591102&page=1&token=1424781367682&isPopup=true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home